Sunday, February 10, 2013

More Sand County


Aldo dedicates the end of part I in A Sand County Almanac to discussions of hunting and cultivating trees. I find it interesting that Aldo is an avid bird hunter, being that he seems to favor bird species over other animals. I find myself wondering if he ever felt a tinge of pain or remorse for the birds that he kills. I guess that he does not because Aldo seems to be the good kind of hunter, one who cherishes and appreciates the goods that nature provides him. He would never overharvest any species, and gives back to the land, in some way replacing what he takes away.

Ocal and I next to a tree that has succumbed to some sort of disease.
Aldo credits his success as a hunter to his loyal and patient dog who he refers to as his “hunting 101” professor. As he describes their hunting adventures, I am reminded of my own families’ dog, a Brittany Spaniel named Ocal (after my grandfathers great aunt). Ocal was bred and trained to be a loyal hunting dog to my grandfather, but turned out to be too gentle-natured for hunting. She is terrified of guns shots (basically anything that goes BOOM...she is NOT a patriotic fan of the 4th of July). The only hunting skill she has retained is the ability to point. I often find her perfectly still in our backyard, pointing at squirrels with her legs quivering with excitement.  Aldo’s admiration of his hunting dog reminds me that dogs know so much more about the workings of nature than humans ever will.

Aldo is torn while deciding whether to chop down a pine or a birch tree. This scene reminds me of our class discussions about the issues we face when determining which species to save over others. Aldo goes through a series of inquires while trying to determine why he will spare pine and chop down the birch:

1)   Which tree is rare and which is common? He states that the pine is more rare in his county whereas the birch is abundant.
2)   Which tree is more aesthetically pleasing? The pine stays green throughout the year whereas the birch is dull during winter.
3)   Which tree has more economic value? The pine will bring him ten dollars a thousand and the birch two dollars.
4)   Which tree plays a more important role in the ecosystem? The pine houses the beautiful and large pileated woodpecker and the birch only the hairy woodpecker.
5)   Which tree has a direct connection to him? He planted the pine with his own hands and the birch planted itself.

It is interesting that Aldo’s reasoning mirrors the thoughts of conservationists today.

I am happy to announce that I got my reference to fungi. Aldo talks about a fungal disease that targets maple trees. I am guessing he was describing Verticillium Wilt? In some way he is admiring the fungus for infecting the tree roots, which in turn provided shelter for raccoons. He acknowledges the fact that disease is a natural and essential part of an ecosystem. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah...and I missed the fungal reference and just focused on the disease! I'm still waiting for my amphibians to appear. I'm guessing Leopold probably does feel a decent amount of guilt over the wolf hunting he did as part of his job. But, maybe he hadn't spent enough time at the time appreciating their dance...or maybe he was following orders so he would get his paycheck. Such a complicated world. At least the woodcocks benefited in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete